“Billy and Sydney think they’re the best basketball hustlers in town, so when they join forces, nothing can stop them, except each other. To add to their problems, Billy owes money and is being chased by a pair of gangster types.“
White Men Can’t Jump, released in 1992, is accurate to that description. But to summarize it as such is akin to saying that Star Wars was “pretty popular in the 80s.” It’s the truth, but it doesn’t capture any of the essence, the reason why that is. Ron Shelton wrote and directed the film – just as he had with Bull Durham – and just as with that sports comedy, this one was less about the sports action and more about the people wearing the shoes. What motivates them both on the court and off, and what drives their competitive spirits? Moreover, Shelton captured the way streetball players talked to each other, thereby making the film feel as genuine as possible.
Joe Giuliano of Two Dude Review had put the film up for MOTM consideration a number of times and finally struck gold (or hit the three, if you prefer), handily beating out Joel Burman’s selection, Body Double.
Now, let’s see what your fellow LAMBs had to say about it. Thanks to the LAMBs that sent in their posts for this edition of the MOTM.
It’s also time to vote on next month’s movie. Once again, I put out the call for MOTM Champions. The gist is this: I ask for volunteers – people to select a film to be placed on the poll (up to 5 per month, as usual), then promote it on their site, Facebook, Twitter, whatever. Should their film win, they are guaranteed a spot on the LAMBcast episode where we will discuss said film. As a bonus (?), they will also get to host that segment of the show. This month, we have just two potential Champions (I was late in putting out the call…apologies) – the sites are listed along with the films in the poll below (and in the sidebar). You have one week to vote (and promote your movies!). I’ll be putting out the call for the next MOTM in a few weeks, so stay tuned.
Also on tap:
* Rants and Raves of the Week
* Name That Year Times Five
A couple notes:
* The show can be found, of course, via iTunes – just do a search for “LAMBcast.” Also, I always post a link to the show on the LAMBcast’s Facebook page, and there’s a player there if you’d like to listen online.
* Shows will eventually make their way to the LAMBcast Archives. If you’d ever like to catch up on back episodes, go there.
* If you’re interested, you too can be a LAMBcaster – we love new blood! For more information on the LAMBcast, check out the topic at the LAMB Forums. Music provided royalty-free by Kevin MacLeod’s Incompetech website. Big thanks to Kevin for providing this service. Opening song by Cake. The LAMBcast loves feedback, too – if you’d like yours read on a future show, leave it in the comments section at the LAMB. Please visit and like our Facebook page, and finally, we’re on iTunes, and would still love a review, even if it’s a bad one.
Thanks for listening!