“A talented New York bartender takes a job at a bar in Jamaica and falls in love.“
If you’re a normal movie blogger at all, you’re probably wondering why and how this film came to be the Movie of the Month. For the real answer, check out the LAMBcast episode itself for more of an explanation. It should also be noted that its only competition to win the last poll was the timeless Jean Claude Van Damme flick Timecop. So let’s just say our potential champs had some cheese on the brain.
The winning Champ this time out was Justin Gott of Man, I Love Films, and I happen to know that Justin is a tremendous Tom Cruise fan. He had actually come to me several times over the last few months bouncing ideas for films off of me and this was one that I (somewhat sheepishly) encouraged him to push for. It was a popular film in 1988 but has become largely forgotten (for good reason?) in the 25 years since its release. Warranted?
Now, let’s see what your fellow LAMBs had to say about it. Thanks to the LAMBs that sent in their posts for this edition of the MOTM.
(Yep, that’s is. I’m not surprised, either. Thanks as usual to Will for continuing to submit MOTM links month after month!)
It’s also time to vote on next month’s movie. Once again, I put out the call for MOTM Champions. The gist is this: I ask for volunteers – people to select a film to be placed on the poll (up to 5 per month, as usual), then promote it on their site, Facebook, Twitter, whatever. Should their film win, they are guaranteed a spot on the LAMBcast episode where we will discuss said film. As a bonus (?), they will also get to host that segment of the show. This month, we have just two potential Champions – the sites are listed along with the films in the poll below (and in the sidebar). You have one week to vote (and promote your movies!). I’ll be putting out the call for the next MOTM in a few weeks, so stay tuned.
Also on tap:
* Rants and Raves of the Week
* Name That Year Times Five
A couple notes:
* The show can be found, of course, via iTunes – just do a search for “LAMBcast.” Also, I always post a link to the show on the LAMBcast’s Facebook page, and there’s a player there if you’d like to listen online.
* Shows will eventually make their way to the LAMBcast Archives. If you’d ever like to catch up on back episodes, go there.
* If you’re interested, you too can be a LAMBcaster – we love new blood! For more information on the LAMBcast, check out the topic at the LAMB Forums. Music provided royalty-free by Kevin MacLeod’s Incompetech website. Big thanks to Kevin for providing this service. Opening song by Cake. The LAMBcast loves feedback, too – if you’d like yours read on a future show, leave it in the comments section at the LAMB. Please visit and like our Facebook page, and finally, we’re on iTunes, and would still love a review, even if it’s a bad one.
Thanks for listening!