Starting on December 1st through the 7th, I will be presenting nine of the most important figures of the French New Wave. Alongside you’ll have the best of their films and a review of a famous film or a more obscure offering. The schedule is as follows:
1. Agnès Varda & Jacques Demy – Since this is a seven day event, I wanted to catch up with the most important figures of the wave. That’s why, like in their time, I united Varda with Demy, only to have a big start for this event and also because I don’t like to split lovers apart.
2. Eric Rohmer – One of the most subtle, interesting, and romantic directors of the the Nouvelle Vague, Rohmer stands as one of the most accomplished “auteurs” amongst his peers. A director I have seen more than the half of his films and whom I like more and more with the passing of time.
3. Jean-Luc Godard – Does the man needs an introduction? You’ll see when you’ll read about him and his films in my presentation. An intriguing character and one of the most frustrating to follow.
4. François Truffaut – Truffaut died too young and he was the first director of the French New Wave I really connected with. His bittersweer approach, Antoine Doinel, and his life will be discussed in my presentation of him.
5. Claude Chabrol – A director whose films I’ ve never seen, it will be very interesting to discover my first with this event.
6. Alain Resnais & Robert Bresson “The Outsiders” – Even if both of them had never been a part of the Nouvelle Vague, their influence and their movies made prior and during the time of the French New Wave made them “the outsiders” of it. As the many figures that gravitated around the Nouvelle Vague, I must not forgot to list Louis Malle, Jean-Pierre Melville, Henri-Georges Clouzot, and many others.
7. Jacques Rivette – I am ashamed to say that I haven’t seen one film from the great Jacques Rivette. A great opportunity for me to discover this legendary master.
I will accept links to reviews or articles about the Nouvelle Vague and also about each and every “auteur”. Feel free to contribute! I’m not announcing which films I will be reviewing for every director on the list to keep the surprise and also because I want you to send any reviews you want and not just about the films I will or won’t review!
Send your contributions to michael dot parent at hotmail dot com.
I hope to read your submissions and your comments!
Le Mot du Cinephiliaque
Got a Press Release, something to Plug, or a Screener available for review (or some combination of the three)? Ok, don’t get all crazy about it. Just click here and give me the details (what, when, where, and a link, for starters) – I’ll handle the rest.
Tags: Le Mot du Cinephiliaque